The trimphone explained

I googled my way to that picture in response to Jay's 1970/lime green remarks. Like Apprentice, I'd love to have one. I remember being a young teenager in the early 70s thinking how cool, how modern they were. They cost more than the bog-standard phone to rent from the Post Office, who organised our telephone system back then, (seems like ancient history now), and Mam wouldn't let us have one... They are hard to get now because of all these TV programmes, spin-offs of Antiques Roadshow, which have alerted punters to the value of collectables. You'll search charity shops and car boot sales in vain. There's a shop in Newcastle sells this sort of stuff for a mint. By Jingo, though, I hate walking by that shop in Grainger St. Seeing everyday objects from my youth selling for 1000% of their original cost, and presented as quasi antiques, makes me feel like a quasi antique myself...

Comments

  1. Kids I was teaching at the time loved to have competitions to see who could make the "perfect trimphone ring sound"

    Little buggers were doing it in my English class teaching time.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

LTPTP XXV: We Shall Overcome

Leech or flatworm? Ants and Swiss Chard

VINEGAR!