Casting-off Coppers; Kind Words; Heath

Walked down to the allotment this morning. I took the horse and ducks pictures at the Primrose Nature Reserve. Did some more weeding. Then The Old Man gave me a lift to return the strimmer to the hire place. We went to the Long Bar for a quick pint, and talked about marauding foxes and allotment arsonists to a couple of his old shipmates. As we were leaving, one of them shouted, "Have ye got any casting-off coppers?" Dad explained that, when they were embarking on a voyage from the Tyne, kids would hang around the quay because it was customary for the departing sailors to give away all their loose change.

A former 'colleague' from Libya, of whom it can only safely be said that we did NOT see eye to eye, wrote of me in an email to a third party, (who naturally and gleefully forwarded it to me):


Can't say I'm sorry to see the back of that dour porridge faced lump
of shite from Geordieland however, to be crudely honest with you!
How you stuck weeks with him without wanting to cut his throat beats
me!

He's not my biggest fan, then. "Porridge faced"? Hmm. However, one could never be wounded by a man, an English teacher indeed, who uses exclamation marks with such frequency.

Herself said of Ted Heath: "He hated Margaret Thatcher, and that was enough for me."

Comments

  1. How charming of that third party to forward such a disparaging email. Not entirely sure what being Porridge Faced entails, but perhaps it requires the embracing of a bowl of breakfast cereal around ones head. Perhaps porridge is a euphamism for the teaspoonful output of man's best friend? Perhaps it is best not to dwell, and be glad you see that 'collegue' no more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, what he said, charming.

    Actually "dour porridge faced lump
    of shite from Geordieland" is quite funny, and really something to be traesued in blogland. If it were me, I'd add it to me profile. Yeay. :)

    "casting off coppers" is a lovely phrase, and Herself is quite right.

    (being very sparing with the exclamation points :))

    ReplyDelete
  3. It shows the theraputic side of blogging: I found it a wee bit upsetting at first, but having blogged it, it becomes, as you say, really funny.

    Typing "traesued" is something that wine does to my typing fingers, too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. If you're not going to use it in your profile, I might steal it for mine !

    Nice glass of Merlot, yes that's what you'd think, but actually my hands are all bandaged up at the moment due to being attacked by lime mortar when I was tarting up the yard wall. Maybe I need to blog that.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

LTPTP XXV: We Shall Overcome

Leech or flatworm? Ants and Swiss Chard

VINEGAR!