autumnal dahlias


autumnal dahlias, originally uploaded by Pig Sty Avenue.

Dad loves dahlias. And the best bit is, there are no hidden motives or sub-texts, because he doesn't bore people by going on about them, and he doesn't put them in shows. He just grows them. He's been doing so for 30 odd years.

They're not my thing, because you can't eat them. But I like the ones in this picture I took at the allotment yesterday because they carry the first signs of decay, the first indications that summer's over and that we should get ready for winter and plant the spring cabbages.

Comments

  1. My Dad grows Dahlias too. Big pink ones. Having flowers around is always good for attracting insects to pollenate the veg though, and, of course, in some cases can be used to attract insects AWAY from the veg, in the case of complimentary planting.

    So we should be planting stuff now? oh dear...

    ReplyDelete
  2. no one grows much anymore in my family.... i miss fresh veggies... :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm looking and seeing that the weather is about the same, here and there. I expect it to diverge soon . . . .our snapdragons will soon be the memory of summer . . .

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

LTPTP XXV: We Shall Overcome

Leech or flatworm? Ants and Swiss Chard

VINEGAR!