It's that time of year when...

...proper teachers go on their hols, whilst we tefl bums slave away, milking meagre cash whilst the summer school or presessional cow's in town. It' a funny job. My mam keeps asking me when I'm going to be a proper teacher, and maybe the time is approaching to make her happy and to work for yet another set of letters after my name.

Tefl management is losing its attractiveness, too, the more I do of it. It feels like less work than teaching, but it's long days and a lot of hassle. There's no room for initiative, either, always some arsehole up the ladder cramping your style.

Mind you, half the fucking country will be scrambling for training and career changes in the next year or so. All this ducking and diving is undignified, but what you gonna do to put mince and tatties on the table?

Comments

  1. what d'ya mean in the next year or so... it's happening now. At least you get a cash incentive to do the pgse and a 'golden' hello... and then stabbed by the pupils..

    ReplyDelete
  2. They don't do that any more. And, as it goes, you can only get on the course if your degree is in the subject you want to teach, so that's me out because my first degree is in Law, and I want to teach English. Besides, you can't get a grant if you've already got a post graduate degree. So, in effect, my fucking MA is actually preventing me from doing this. Bugger. As one door closes, another one slams shut in your face...

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

LTPTP XXV: We Shall Overcome

Leech or flatworm? Ants and Swiss Chard

VINEGAR!