Monday, August 09, 2010

"I don't want to spend a couple of years getting to be not-bad at something, and then deciding to try something else"

What a load of old toot.  The fact is, I embarked on Learning to Play the Piano with a vague notion that I'd be playing a piano in a pub one day, and five years from now was the time scale I had from looking around usenet groups and doing some quick calculations.  What I didn't realize then was that I would learn to read music much more quickly than that - I'm probably half way there already, and would expect to get through the theory part of PSP by Christmas, or thereabouts.  But that'll mostly be a hand-eye thing, I won't have it in my ear for a while.

And then this morning I woke up and said out loud, "tin whistle".

I've been online this evening and bought a Clarks Sweetone D.  And this book.  The whistle's got a notation system all its own, and lots of the older songs here have it alongside a conventional staff.  So that should be good learning for the ear. The taking five years to get good may not even start until I fall in luerve with an instrument, and when I do that, I'll really get into practising.  That instrument won't be the ukulele.  It might be a piano.  Or an accordion.  Or a penny whistle. Or something.   And then I'll be playing it in a pub, if I'm spared.