"As far back as I can remember, I've always wanted to own a Leica."

Once again, the dog returns to its vomit.

The FED2's great, I've learned loads from it... But...

Neither of my Russian lenses, (Jupiter 8 and Industar 61) are really sharp. For the price, they're brilliant, but they could be sharper. And the rangefinder on the camera is hard to use in low light, and anyway is perhaps about 10% inaccurate with the subject a few feet away.

What I'm saying is, the FED2 and the Russian lenses have been great, but I've come up against their limitations. Not that I'll be putting them back on eBay just yet, but I'm going to start to nurture my Leica aspirations again. And ponder over such things as whether to go for an M39 like a IIIf, or go the whole hog and get an M series.

Comments

  1. You CAN tell a difference between he FSU cameras and the Leicas. If you can afford one I'd go for the M4 becuse they have the best viewfinders. But M lenses can be pricey. I went for a cheap Leica IIIa and haven't regretted it. If I had to have one lens I would stick with the 35mm Elmar - plain and simple but with a special 'look'. After that, the 50mm Elmar (2.8 version) and Summicron are both great lenses.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for that. I'm probably going for a iiif - subject to what's reasonable on eBay. Thanks for the lens advice too - it's complicated for the n00b.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

LTPTP XXV: We Shall Overcome

Leech or flatworm? Ants and Swiss Chard

VINEGAR!