Leica Haunts Me in the Wee Small Hours

Well, it's not that bad, but this is becoming a pre-occupation.

(Non camera nerds: the back button is at the top left-hand corner of your browser - you should click on it now).

Here's what I thought about it back in January '07, but searching for "Leica" on this blog shows that it was on my mind as long ago as October '05; (the link on that page is broken - from memory the "Leica" I had in mind was a glorified point and shoot with the Leica name but little else: I knew feck-all about cameras back then). The subject popped up again in October 2006 (when I wrote that this was one of the "subjects that make your wife's eyes glaze over, or even cause her to leave the room", and as such a good example of the utility of blogging), and again in November that year.

I still haven't won the lottery but I have come to the realisation that photography should be fun. Which in turn means that I needn't worry about taking brilliant photos, just enjoying taking and looking at the ones I have taken. And that in turn means that I probably won't ever need a really expensive camera like an M8, or the top of the range SLRs that photojournalists use.

And it was that chain of reasoning that led me to dust off the Kodak 66 and the Chinon CS. , and to buy a developing tank and contemplate getting a film scanner.

The next step was obvious. Get an old Leica. Lots of them on eBay. I can get an M2 body (say) for a couple of hundred quid. A lens, ditto. This will require detailed research. The flickr Leica groups are as good a place as any to begin.

As Ray Liotta almost said in Goodfellas, "As far back as I can remember, I've always wanted to own a Leica."

Comments

  1. I had the same dream many years ago Gary, but alas the Leica remained unobtainable.

    I'm not sure that I'd care to go back to 35mm and 120mm film cameras again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You've probably heard this from someone else already but have you thought about picking up a fixed lens 1970s rangefinder - something like a Canon QL17 / Olympus RC / Olympus RD...

    http://www.cameraquest.com/classics.htm

    No, they're not Leicas and you can't change the lenses but they handle in a similar way and many Leica users leave a 35mm or 50mm stuck on their camera most of the time anyway

    I own a couple, though I haven't used them much lately, and a mate went off and bought an M6 after using my RC for a while - to be honest the M6 wasn't/ isn't that much more enjoyable to use than the old Olympus

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

LTPTP XXV: We Shall Overcome

Leech or flatworm? Ants and Swiss Chard

VINEGAR!