SAD? SW Scotland? Vitamin D?

The Libyan sojourn earlier this year means that now, nearly three months after my return, the rain is still something of a novelty. Just as well, given the SW Scotland climate - which is noticeably much wetter than it was in NE England: you understand the meaning of rain shadow when you move from one to the other.

Maybe that's why Glasgow and environs have such poor health. It's a vitamin D deficiency, and all those lectures from middle-class people in Islington about diet (based on the deeply rooted belief that everyone here is munching deep fried Mars bars all day long), were misplaced.

Incidentally, I notice that the BBC's "news" story looks as if it has been based on a 2006 paper, (you can't get it without Athens or a payment, but there is a less detailed open-access article on the same subject by the same author, Oliver Gillie, here).

There's the whole SAD thing to consider, too. I don't think Gillie mentions happy-lamps. You can buy Vitamin D online... (of course, what can't you buy online?) It's on my mind now, as the equinox approaches, because I can be known to suffer from fearful depressions come November, and I've a theory that this is due to climate because I've never gotten them during the several winters I've spent in the last decade in southerly latitudes.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

LTPTP XXV: We Shall Overcome

Leech or flatworm? Ants and Swiss Chard

VINEGAR!