#hanonexercise2

I've had a good couple of hours practice this afternoon.  It seems unreal that it's only a week since we went to look at the Kemble, and that it only arrived on Wednesday, it's like a member of the family already.

Anyway, I warmed up on Hanon No.1, and then gave 2 a try.  I had a look at Mr Ron's video on it, but didn't find him very clear on the turn-around to go back down the keyboard.  The man at pianoclubhouse.com was much more translucent.  I eventually got to playing it up and down, with both hands, albeit slowly.  I'm picking up speed on No.1, and getting more precise.

In the sheet music which came with the piano stool there's a kids' piano beginner book, and The Bairn fastened onto "A Scottish Dance", so I gave it a go as my first sight reading exercise, as it was a tune which I didn't know from the title.  I did it bar by bar, RH first and then LH.

After five bars, I was able to put it together and - woohoo! - a wee tune that did indeed sound distinctly Scottish.  It was a rush, to decode music from the page for the first time ever.  Herself says she recognizes the tune, maybe from school, though I don't. There are a couple of lines of it, and I've got half of the first one.  I'll get the rest in the next few days.  I kept playing those first five bars over and over, it was addictive.

I dreamt the other night that I was beginning to climb a huge red sandstone slope.  I knew that when I got to the top there'd be miles of uplands - moors and hills - to cross before I got to the pleasant village at my destination.  I don't know what the village was called, but it may as well have been "Grade 8", the meaning couldn't have been clearer: I'm just starting and there's a huge distance to travel.


Comments

  1. You're really going for this... And the piano looks really nice. I tinkered but am too lazy to sit and practice. I very well may get one of these soon... http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=r-mPqvVRDHQ

    Madness I know but it's what I do...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like a nice bit of kit, but you could get a half-decent upright for that, plus delivery and tuning.

    I'm as lazy as you, but it's not really an effort if you're really into it, you know? And I am now, big time. If I stop blogging about it, you'll know the bubble has burst. But I was pretty obsessed by photography for nearly ten years, so if the piano goes the same way I can get well on with it. But for now, I'll be happy to get to Grade 1 in the next year or so.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Upright would be nice but K already has a decent full electric piano. I keep seeing uprights going in the auction and no one wants them. If I had a van I could have had about 5 of them for about £30 .

    ReplyDelete
  4. They're a bit like old film cameras, really, or even less sought after. I realized that when I started looking, there were so many on the go from nothing to a couple of hundred quid. Which was handy for me.

    Does K or anyone play the electric? What make is it?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, she plays piano... When the mood takes her. She can sight read to a reasonable standard, plays classical and small jazz pieces. But ask her to make it up and she's lost... She needs the music in front of her.

    It's a Yamaha something or other but the piano sound is actually quite good. It does the other usual organs, electric piano etc... But it's full size. Cost nearly £450 a few years back. I thought you may have got something similar... eaiser to move around blah blah.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm envious of people who can sight read but you need to get beyond that for the jazz piano grades - I want to be able to jam, eventually.

    I might get a full size synth/digital keyboard one day. I've got the 49 key midi keyboard too. But I always planned to go acoustic, I like the idea of this big mechanical beast that's been around since before my dad was born.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

LTPTP XXV: We Shall Overcome

Leech or flatworm? Ants and Swiss Chard

VINEGAR!