More Fun with Critical and Poststructuralist Discourse Analysis

I've just finished editing yesterday's post, going through the University of Leicester's notes on this, and searching through Google Scholar/Athens. There's obviously a lot of reading to be done. The Kumaravadivelu article is actually one of several in a special issue of TESOL Quarterly, all of which was available online, so I'll probably start with that - it'll give me a good ESOL grounding in the subject, because I'm liable to fly off far away from teaching English with this.

The reason being, frankly, the ESOL aspects have become the least interesting ones. Teaching is InH, studying Discourse is H. (Puzzling over why I find teaching to be InH, is H. Strange, eh?) Which is perhaps why it took me so long to deal with the Second Language Acquisition module, and why it became such a chore. It came back the other day, "Good, 64%" a "mixed assignment". I was praised for my honesty in admitting the research didn't reveal anything much; (it took no effort to do so, and it seems like a funny thing to be commended for). Not a bad mark considering I was sick of the sight of it and constantly hitting the word count button whilst drafting it.

So, whilst I find Critical and Poststructural Discourse Analysis fascinating, I must somehow wangle some teaching aspect into whatever I do... Ditto the (Mod6) Dissertation, the final stretch of the MA, which I start early next year and will probably involve the poststructural analysis of some bloody thing. Perhaps I could have one of my more sophisticated classes work with the same text for a lesson or two, introduce them to Critical Language Awareness? Something that would be relevant to them - a text on globalization, perhaps?

Sorted.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

LTPTP XXV: We Shall Overcome

Leech or flatworm? Ants and Swiss Chard

VINEGAR!