The Ayrshire Coast to Glasgow Commuter's Novel Reading Habits

I've been meaning to blog about this for a while.

You can't buy The Grauniad without difficulty in Saltcoats, so I read a book on the way to Glasgow, and the paper on the way home. The book is always a novel, because you need to narrative to keep you occupied on a repeated journey.

When I started to do this commute back in August, I was reading Trinities by Nick Tosches. I'd got it from a charity shop in Leeds because I was feeling the need for a gangster story to alleviate my Sopranos withdrawal symptoms. I liked the big idea, too: New York mafia wresting control of the heroin trade back from the triads. Lots of it was great stuff for afficianados of the genre: exploding Nigerians, for example. A lot of it was crap: all of the product placement: novels by blokes for blokes, you don't really need to know what designer gear the Godfather's wearing, do you?

Then it was Billy Bathgate, which I did blog about. Brilliant. It's one of those books, won't ever leave me. A serious literary work AND the peak of the genre.

The next novel can't have been so illuminating, because I've forgotten what it was... Or maybe I just went onto The Foreign Correspondent by Alan Furst, shifting from the gangster to the spy drama. As autumn was closing-in on the journey to work, World War was closing in on our multi-lingual anti-fascist Italian hero in 1939 Paris. It was never going to contend for any prizes, but it was a good commuter's read.

And now I regret to have to tell you about a nasty habit a picked up in a charity shop in South Shields two or three years ago: Michael Dobbs' Churchill books. I don't seek them out, but if one comes my way, well... This time it was No. 3 in the series, Churchill's Hour. What a bag of shite. Historically and psychologically utterly daft. But I'll forget how bad it was when I see vol. 4 sitting on a charity shop shelf for 99p or wtf.

And yesterday I started on A Short History of Tractors in Ukrainian, by Marina Lewycka.

Comments

  1. I didn't like Tractors half as much as I thought I would. Now her second novel, Two Caravans, is prime commuting reading material - especially for people in our line of work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've gotten to around page 50, and it's not living up to its whacky title and interesting cover art.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

LTPTP XXV: We Shall Overcome

Leech or flatworm? Ants and Swiss Chard

VINEGAR!