...and make it snappy III

More thanks to Factobrunt for his observations on the Pig Sty Camera Question.

He's got the clincher, too, with his remarks about ISO. An SLR can have a relatively high ISO, which means I can take pics in poor(ish) light with no flash. I want to be able to do that to take relatively unobtrusive pictures, like this one.

Now the only question is which DSLR? The Canon EOS 350 is used by a lot of people on Flickr, including my mate Sam. There's a new Olympus out in the same price range.

Speaking of price, as we've a new baby and I've got a part time job, I can't dash out and buy something this expensive just now. So for the first time since childhood I'm Saving Up. No need for snap decisions, therefore, and a bit of fun making the decision meanwhile.

Comments

  1. The Canon 350D is a good camera. I did a search on Jessops website for all DSLRs ordered by price. The Nikon D50 comes in at £120 cheaper with a decent lens, and quite frankly is a better camera.

    There are a number of things that irk me about the 350D. It feels light and flimsy compared to the Nikon equivalents (try them in the shop), and also the lens barrel doesn't have any markings. This is a right pain in the proverbial when trying to do night time shots (I know you don't plan on doing this, but it can be very useful to focus in dim light by turning the lens to some distance and knowing it will be nearly in focus).

    Canon and Nikon lenses are both expensive and of similar quality, and unless you make a mint with your first book, I think you'd be leaning towards cheaper make lenses, like Sigma.

    Obviously, I'm a Nikon user and I'm sure you'd get some arguments from Canon users, so I suggest the best thing to do is to just go and try them out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks FB. It's down to this now: Canon EOS 350D, or Nikon D50 (or 70?).

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll examine the specs some more and post about this again soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. D70 all the way. I've been and visited this issue so many times. The EOS compares to the D50, but the D70 is better than both. And a clincher might be that we can share lenses. :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

LTPTP XXV: We Shall Overcome

Leech or flatworm? Ants and Swiss Chard

VINEGAR!