Chinon CS: "This could be the start of a beautiful friendship."

I couldn’t really afford any of the cameras and lenses that were going the other day, even though they were real bargains. And then I remembered, the Old Man had an old camera. I rang him up this morning, and he brought it over: a Chinon CS. Not the most famous camera, perhaps, but Chinon has a (very small) Flickr group.

So this is the plan: get a tripod and some black & white film and have a go at real photography. Whatever that is. I’ve learned a lot using a compact digital, but this will teach me f-stops and film speeds and DoF and all that malarkey.

An irony that occurs is that a big old camera could be more acceptable, in some situations, than a compact. I mean, you look the part, and people might relax a bit more: you’re not just some auld gadgie with a digital camera and a possibly reprehensible intent.

Comments

  1. Interesting. What lens does it have? The body doesn't matter really, unless it has light leaks. It's the lens that's important.

    You can borrow one of my tripods certainly, I'll bring it on Wednesday, and I think I have a chinon lens cap, but dunno without knowing your lens size. They cost about £1 in the camera shops. I'll bring them both on Wednesday anyway.

    I don't use a tripod that much, actually. Once you get used to the weight, you'll be fine. Try a roll or two of fast colour film first, Fujisuperior ISO 400 is £2.99 for 3 rolls on offer at Jacobs at the moment. And there's always 7 day shop. Cheap as chips. Rah for Old Man!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The lens says: "AUTO FLEX 1:2.8 f=50mm JAPAN 58713"

    There's a full roll of film with it, and a spare. I don't know what's in, but likely it'll be the same as the extra one which is a Kodak, colour 800 ASA. It wants a wee battery. (I notice the one in there was made in WEST Germany! The film will probably be ancient too.)

    I'll take it into Town tomorrow and buy some bits and pieces on my break: lens cap, battery, extra film etc... Where's best?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow. Film. I think I remember that . . . it amazes me how much technology changes. We bought our first digital for pictures of our boy growing up. Now, I can't imagine going back to film . . . but I wish my digital could do things like my old 35mm could . . . (long exposure)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Chinon CS was my first ever camera, aged 6. Just bought one the other day for £7.... What a revelation :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just bought a Chinnon CS from Ebay. The cost? 99p, plus a fiver for post and packing. Assuming all is well with the bugger when it arrives, I have a stonker of a helios 58mm F2 lens to put on it.

    Old cameras are better made, and often have better optics than some of the modern stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good luck with it. I'm reinventing mine sometime soon to take a homemade lens.

    On mine, sometimes the take-up spool sticks around about frame 20. I don't know if it's just mine or a design fault, but be aware of that and try to get your best pics in the first 20 frames.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

LTPTP XXV: We Shall Overcome

Leech or flatworm? Ants and Swiss Chard

VINEGAR!