Sunday, November 06, 2005

Chinon CS: "This could be the start of a beautiful friendship."

I couldn’t really afford any of the cameras and lenses that were going the other day, even though they were real bargains. And then I remembered, the Old Man had an old camera. I rang him up this morning, and he brought it over: a Chinon CS. Not the most famous camera, perhaps, but Chinon has a (very small) Flickr group.

So this is the plan: get a tripod and some black & white film and have a go at real photography. Whatever that is. I’ve learned a lot using a compact digital, but this will teach me f-stops and film speeds and DoF and all that malarkey.

An irony that occurs is that a big old camera could be more acceptable, in some situations, than a compact. I mean, you look the part, and people might relax a bit more: you’re not just some auld gadgie with a digital camera and a possibly reprehensible intent.