Town Lasses


social station, originally uploaded by brendadada.

Brendadada shot this in the Town recently. It's a great photo, eh?

People come from all over Britain now for Newcastle's night life, and it's really popular for bachelor parties and hen nights. The Quayside is quite a place.

When I was a student in the early 1980s, the Quayside was more low key, a place for us students. The Town Lads and Lasses congregated on the Bigg Market back then.

Anyway, one night, I was going to meet some mates at the Crown Posada, and was making my way down Grey St. I was late and in a hurry and young, so started to jog along. I overtook a group of Town Lasses walking along the pavement, and as I did so one of them shouted. "Woah! Look at the arse on that, lasses! Come on!" And they started chasing me down Grey St. I easily got away, but felt sexually harassed for the first and only time in my life.

It's a little depressing to reflect that those lasses who teased me that night could be the mothers of the lasses in this photo. And that these days no one, on any account, would chase my arse down the street. Hmm.

Comments

  1. Garry,
    Ummm, if you owed them money????

    ReplyDelete
  2. The lassies themselves are really gorgeous. When I first left the NE, a couple of generations ago, the trains at Xmas were always chock full of gorgeous model types on their way home. Not just bonny, really gobsmacking international standards of beauty. There is something about this area which grows them fit, in the traditional as well as the newer meaning, and they have that bare-faced cheek born of many mothers' hardships. Fishwives tongues, Women Against Pit Closures. Bold and bonny. They are a great breed.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

LTPTP XXV: We Shall Overcome

Leech or flatworm? Ants and Swiss Chard

VINEGAR!