One Week Old, Sleeping


One Week Old, Sleeping, originally uploaded by Pig Sty Avenue.

That was her, earlier tonight. She's feeding a lot. No doubt she needs to put on weight. Her first couple of days, she didn't take anything much. And she isn't a fat baby. She'll get weighed next week, but she was 6lb 7oz born. She's quite long, though, and the consensus is she'll be tall.

For now, though, her Grandad was able to refer to her as 'a ninepenny rabbit'. I haven't heard that phrase for years.

Comments

  1. it may be because i am canadian... but what in gods name does ninepenny rabbit mean?
    i just dont get it.... :S

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's a way of referring to a skinny baby.

    Hardly anybody eats rabbits now, but they were once an important part of the British diet. I suppose one that cost ninepence was a skinny one.

    I don't know if the phrase is used beyond north east England. Herself, who's from Ayrshire, hadn't heard it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. cool.. thanks for explaining it to me :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cripes, I know that phrase. My Grandad used to call me that, but he was a Yorkshireman. "Thee's nowt but a ninepennorth rabbit". Sparrers ankles, I had as a nipper.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

LTPTP XXV: We Shall Overcome

Leech or flatworm? Ants and Swiss Chard

VINEGAR!