Mary Anne Campbell Nixon ("Molly"), Welcome to the World!

“Will she be born on the 8th or the 9th?” the midwife mused around 11.50pm last night.  When she was born, I looked at my watch and it was precisely 12.

It had been a long day.  Herself’s waters had broken at 12.50am the night before, and she started to have contractions in the early hours of the morning.  She had and epidural around 6pm, so the last few hours weren’t as excruciating as the previous twelve, but even so, it’s remarkable how composed she looks in the photo I took of them at 12.10am, considering what she’s been through, throwing up with the pain.  God bless her.  

And Molly, who entered this world as calm as you like, though she’d no doubt benefited from some of the diamorphine her mother had been given earlier in the day.

They had to use a device like a sink plunger to encourage her out, and that’s left a bump on her head which will soon go.  

The standard of care in the delivery ward was brilliant.  Thanks to all of the people involved there.  

I was back down to visit this afternoon, and then I return in an hour or so.  They’re both doing very well.  She’s not a particularly small baby, but yet still manages to look lost in the ‘newborn’ baby-grows.  I changed her this afternoon, and was relieved to find that that knack is  in the riding-a-bike category.

Hopefully, they’ll be home very soon: perhaps tomorrow or any rate Tuesday.   She took to breast feeding within an hour of being born, and, we’re told, if that’s working out and the ma shows herself capable of bathing the wee blighter, then the maternity ward send them out into the world as soon as possible.  

And tomorrow I’ve to use all of my interpersonal and negotiating skills to get time off from my brand new job.

But that’s a mere detail.  I can’t stop thinking of wee Molly and Herself, and happiness is an almost physical presence in my chest.




Comments

  1. Great! I'm very happy for all of you. Glad "Herself" is all ok. We all know what the topic of the blog will be for the next few years, now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on the wee babe. Molly is a beautiful name.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Garry,
    My best to all of you. A joy is a babe born to the world, so much hope, so much of an expression of what it means to be human.

    Now, The Boy is five, and The New Boy is five month's old, so, perhaps an arranged marriage is in order . . . .

    ReplyDelete
  4. so happy for you, may she be the sunshine in your life!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely post Garry. We can all feel the love shining out.

    My ma says hello and that Molly is a really lovely name. I'm glad she has something official she can revert to when she's practising at the bar or speaking at senior registrar conferences.

    Look forward to a lot more of this.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

LTPTP XXV: We Shall Overcome

Leech or flatworm? Ants and Swiss Chard

VINEGAR!