The sad, the mad and the horny; bye bye Bill

You know how it is: it feels like january outdoors, so today’s a good day to spring clean the spare room. But I’ll just have a wee surf first… and the morning starts to drift away.

Hitting the ‘next blog’ can get you into some weird situations. This Erica woman actually made me blush . I say “this Erica woman” and skim reading her adventures one gets an impression of, say, a thirty something, quite attractive and most certainly broadminded female; but this is the internet and “Erica” could just as well be a wee man in his sixties called Rod, unshaven, with acute halitosis, tugging his tadger over a PC from Cash Converters, in the bedroom of the house he shares with his geriatric mother in Gateshead.

Then I came across Hopping Doon the Pavement, which might just be a cry for help, but let’s give him a few days to come up with something interesting.

And then there’s this. I can’t decide if it’s zen or a psychiatric disorder.

*****

In the last week I’ve managed to cut two of the significant ties that bind me to the MicroShite monster. IE kept freezing up, so I’ve downloaded and started using firefox. So far so good: it looks much better, less cluttered; it’s far less buggy, and therefore quicker. Snappy.

And I’ve moved over from hotmail to gmail. I could write a fukn book about hassles with hotmail, but the main thing, especially if I’m abroad and using internet cafés with 25 PCs on one slow dial-up, is the speed. Hotmail’s just too bloody slow – that’s clear when working with it and gmail side by side.

Even at the best of times, it can take an age for the shockwave ads to download. Gmail scans your mail text and then puts a few discreet, specifically targeted ads up; it means you get the impression your privacy’s been invaded, by a computer anyway, but I’ll live with that. I'll keep hotmail for anything that's liable to lead to spam, like blogging :-/

Comments

  1. Good links (apart from that odd last one, I could only see square).

    I've got firefox on my laptop. I love the "open new tab" feature. It's like a net surfer's dream. Like now, for example, I have 5 windows open in IE. Madness...

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

LTPTP XXV: We Shall Overcome

Leech or flatworm? Ants and Swiss Chard

VINEGAR!