Shaking a Dev Tank in the Kitchen

After a hard day chained to a hot laptop, puzzling over the relationship between functional language constructs, pedagogy, and assessment, it's nice to spend a bit of time in the kitchen shaking a dev tank.  Last night I did a roll of Fuji Neopan in Rodinal and Fixer 24, and I'm going to scan it now.  From the negs, it's a roll I shot in Shanghai a month or two ago on the FED2.

The other night I dev'd the roll of 127 I'd put through the Baby Brownie.  Hello.  There was a mark along the edge of the film which looked like a light leak, (which would have been fine), but the rest of it looked as if it hadn't been exposed at all... When I looked again, there were numbers from the backing paper.  I've looked at the camera, and the shutter appears to be going fine.  So I don't know what to think about that.  Pity, because the Baby's such a cute wee camera to use.

Meanwhile, for when I get to the bottom of the exposed film mountain, I've been looking at EFKE 127 - AG Photographic are doing the best deal at the moment.  But Silverprint have a better price for Fomapan, which I like the look of, though I need to try it yet.

All of which, above, brought me to a few bullet points I intend to note and abide by hereafter:

  • Leave all the cameras empty of film until you've got an idea for something, and then choose the best film/camera combination for the idea; 

  • Shoot at least one whole roll of film at a time, don't piddle around with two or three frames;

  • Then, develop and scan it straightaway. 
It might not sound like a big deal, but actually it's the difference between being a photographer, and someone who takes a few family snaps now and again.  Voila.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

LTPTP XXV: We Shall Overcome

Leech or flatworm? Ants and Swiss Chard

VINEGAR!