Bruce Gilden

Whilst in London I had a couple of pints with the Flickr pals, including the splendid Martino. I was telling him about my ideas about obvious use of flash, and he told me about Bruce Gilden, (though, actually, we both forgot and had to nudge one anothers's memories by Flickrmail just now to recall the conversation). Anyway, he's given me this link to a youtube video of Gilden working. Brilliant. I don't know if that would be a viable technique in Glasgow, mind. But the flash-in-the-face idea IS a good idea, even when photographing inside the "tribe", per Goldin. (Gilden/Goldin = good shorthand for photographing out/inside your social group).

Comments

  1. Wouldn't work in Sunderland either...

    I wanted to ask you about your Sportsman pictures and if you have a problem with the shutter going off when you wind on the film...

    I just wondered if it was normal or if it was my camera...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mine's a Sporti not a Sportsman. (Ilford liked the word "sport" in the 50s and 60s, for some reason!). The Sporti's a tin box with a not-very-good lens on the front - the mechanism is very crude. I think the Sportsman is more sophisticated.

    Anyway, I've never had any trouble like that with mine.

    You could ask these numpties here:

    http://www.flickr.com/groups/ilfordcamera/

    Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for introducing me to this stellar photographer.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cheers...they look the same, but the Sportsman is 35mm...

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

LTPTP XXV: We Shall Overcome

Leech or flatworm? Ants and Swiss Chard

VINEGAR!