Thanks Kevin

For your comment on the post which mentioned those bastards who manage Kodak. It's always good to get a real life bit of solidarity.

I thought I'd see what the bastards were up to, and got this on google news, which is a marvellous example of the horror of globalized capitalist discourse.

Which chimed in with some thinking and reading I'm doing as the Mod5 assignment undergoes some last minute reorientation. In particular, I encountered from Gray (2002) (you can't get the article online, here are articles that cite it). And there I came across the PARSNIP concept, which really I should have read about before. It's the ELT publishers rough and ready guide to what can't go into commercial texts: no Politics, Alcohol, Religion, Sex, Narcotics, -Isms or Pork.

What else is there?

Gray, J. (2002). The global coursebook in English language teaching. In D. Block & D. Cameron (Eds.), Globalization and language teaching (pp. 151-167). New York: Routledge.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

LTPTP XXV: We Shall Overcome

Leech or flatworm? Ants and Swiss Chard

VINEGAR!