Ambridge

Our internet connexion here seems to improve over time, though not without the occasional step backward. Now I'm able to listen live to the BBC, (and I must get speakers today...). That's great, but when the connexion was slow, and listen live sounded like a dalek in a metal tank underwater, I got into BBC podcasts. It took some patience, a half hour programme could take 90 minutes to download, so one had to plan ahead. But once downloaded, I could sync it to my phone, put in the head phones, light up the pipe and look out onto the North African night, watching for the Scops Owl, and listen to Front Row, or Start The Week, or... The Archers.

I've been listening to The Archers (which has got a comprehensive website, btw,) since I got my first radio at eleven years old, (my parents aren't Radio 4 people). Since then, I've listened to it on and off. Sometimes, several years will go by when I hardly here an episode, when I've been living abroad.

But now, we have the podcast, and I've gone from being a casual, recreational, take-it-or-leave-it user, to a screaming, wide eyed, mainlining junky, almost overnight... Yesterday was a staggerer, with Roy and Haley's premature baby, Abigail, arriving, and Jennifer threatening Brian with divorce: that was two Major Life Events within 13 minutes, mind.

Comments

  1. A good way to keep in touch with the UK is Radio Four's "News Quiz" which is available on an I Cast or something of that technical name. Its funny and its topical. Enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you're after TV channel 4 has the same sort of thing as the BBC iPlayer. channel4.com/4od or something like that

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know the feeling: the appeals of Southern Italy or the Czech Republic were as nothing to me compared to the crackly Westway omnibus every Sunday night.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

LTPTP XXV: We Shall Overcome

Leech or flatworm? Ants and Swiss Chard

VINEGAR!