At least five people were killed when security forces opened fire on anti-government protesters in the Janzour district in the west of the Libyan capital on Friday, a resident said.

It's to the west of the capital, too far away to be part of Tripoli. If anywhere was home to me in Libya, it was here in Janzur, the first place I stayed. It seems impossible that people are being shot there, it was so respectable. On Thursdays I would go to the internet cafe, print off the best bits of the Guardian website, and read them in a cafe with a burger. I had my first shisha pipe in another cafe, on the main road, which I later realised was knocking shop. I was there when Tony Blair's motorcade went whizzing by.

And people are being shot there.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

LTPTP XXV: We Shall Overcome

Leech or flatworm? Ants and Swiss Chard

VINEGAR!