The Chicken Bed

I won't have chickens for years. But as mentioned here, the plan is to have a movable chicken house and run, and incorporate it into the crop rotation, moving it either in autumn or spring.

This will mean the chickens get rid of harmful invertebrates like wire worms, but the bed gets 4 out of 5 years to recover the beneficial ones which the chickens have eaten. It also means chicken pests don't get a chance to build up. Finally, chickens produce loads of manure.

But meanwhile, when I don't have an actual chicken run, chicken house, or indeed chickens, I'm still going to have a putative chicken bed in the rotation, where I can grow anything I want in keeping with the rotation. Insect attractions, mostly.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

LTPTP XXV: We Shall Overcome

Leech or flatworm? Ants and Swiss Chard

VINEGAR!