31A Amherst Avenue

To cheer myself up after a morning sabotaged by some network related not-working-properly IT issues, I went for a walk down Fuzhou Lu to the foreign language bookshop.  I've got Our Mutual Friend by the armchair at home, but he's a bit bulky if you pop out for lunch with a beer and a read.  So I looked at Slaughterhouse-Five, which I've been meaning to read for a while, and then I saw Empire of the Sun, and well, what other novel was I going to buy in Shanghai this afternoon?

I read it years ago and had no inkling of the place in time and space that Ballard was describing.  Now the references are jumping out at me to find, and that's after only the first two chapters.    Amherst Rd is here.

There's a lot more craic here.

Comments

  1. lost your email. use the email on my drawjerky site

    Head of Assessment & Achievement... coo.
    Position sounds interesting but not feeling too well at the moment so Shanghai seems like it could be an uncomfortable commute.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

LTPTP XXV: We Shall Overcome

Leech or flatworm? Ants and Swiss Chard

VINEGAR!