Last Days in Visa Limbo: Farewell To A Sordid Race

"...I doubt not but in time Ardrossan will become a grand emporium; but the people of Saltcoats, a sordid race, complain that it will be their ruin". (Galt, p3). I know where you're coming from, Miss Pringle.  


Mind you, it seems that everyone in the UK complains incessantly, although maybe that's just the impression you get if you watch too much rolling news from the BBC: mostly whinging about the weather, the resultant "travel misery", (where "misery" really means "inconvenience"), and, horror of horrors, Christmas presents bought online which might not be delivered on time.  Ffs.  But there I go, complaining about the complainers.  


And it's cheap to be smug when you're in that serene state that travellers know, when the visa's in your passport and the flight's booked and you're wondering what books you'll buy at WH Smiths in Departures.  Wolf Hall's in the frame, and so is Empire of the Sun, which I read years ago but would re-read with an eye on the topography so that I can entertain visiting friends and relatives with tours of Ballard's Shanghai.  










Galt, J. (1895) The Ayrshire Legatees. London. Macmillan & Co

Comments

  1. Enjoy your escape, mate. Another six months of MA work and I'll be joining you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cheers. Hard work this country, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. It certainly is. Luckily, we have a profession (I use that word loosely) that means we can live almost anywhere we want.

    It's a big, big world out there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It certainly is. And I'm exhausted trying to earn a living from Our Thing in this bloody country.

    In Istanbul I had a DoS who was a hopeless drunk, but I'd swap him any day for some of the twisted fruitcakes who pass for teachers and "management" in FE and Universities here. It's always a strange profession, but it gets downright weird when you are back in Blighty.

    ReplyDelete
  5. good luck with the flight situation.. and you're right about the staff in FE and HE. As much as it's a well paid number and it's what I'd been doing I feel an utter reluctance to even attempt to return.

    ReplyDelete
  6. As glad as I am that I've got the qualification, don't think I'd ever go back to FE here. The major benefit of TEFL (and lord knows, there are surprisingly few of those) is being able to work elsewhere.

    Soon as I'm done, it's Asia again for me.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yup. Don't think I'll be back here to live. Ever. Maybe retire to the Thai countryside, get an opium habit in my old age.

    ReplyDelete
  8. ohh... sounds fantastic... give me a shout when that happens.. an opium habit sounds just the thing to provide some excellent distraction from whatever horribly painful disease or illness I have in later years...

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

LTPTP XXV: We Shall Overcome

Leech or flatworm? Ants and Swiss Chard

VINEGAR!