Monday, October 26, 2009

DIY Colour 1st Roll 3

With Herself at Work, and The Bairn at nursery, I was able to give my Tetenal C41 kit its first outing.  I'd lost the instructions, but got the basics here, and a whole lot more here.  I used a plastic bowl in the kitchen sink, and warmed the chemicals there first,  (I made up 500ml of each - developer, blix and stabilizer, and put the first in an elderflower cordial bottle, the second in a tomato sauce bottle, the third in a brown sauce bottle).  I used an electronic thermometer, the sort you use to see if you have a temperature, so it was very accurate.

It was 39.5C when I started.  The developing is the most temperature crucial part, but it's only 3m 15s, so it wouldn't have dropped by more than a degree or two, I'd guess.  The counter-intuitive part comes when you add the blix straight after the developer, but then, heigh ho.  Then the rinse, then the stabilizer, and then...  no final rinse.  The stabilizer is a bit sticky, so it seems to take the negs longer to dry, (they stick to inside of the loersch sheets, otherwise, and leave funny marks when you scan them - dry them overnight next time).  (Incidentally, this thread looks as if it might be helpful in avoiding dust - letting the shower run to dampen the air is what I've tried).


Anyway, if the photos aren't good, that's down to me.  The processing seems to be fine. 

DIY Colour 1st Roll 3