Sodium Carbonate

I've got three, solid (hopefully), days to write up the Discussion section, tidy it all up, proof it... And, voila! Four years of lost weekends will be at an end.

Meanwhile, last night I relaxed by getting the chemicals from the press to make up some fixer, and some Beutler high acutane developer. The fixer and Solution A for the Beutler was straightforward. Solution B is simply washing soda, or Sodium carbonate. But the recipe says anhydrate, whereas the stuff from the shop is decahydrate. I made it up proportionately as directed in a 750ml wine bottle, and it hasn't dissolved properly.

I'm trying to puzzle out the an/deca difference, and to see if I can make anhydrate from decahydrate. This APUG thread might hold the key, but I need to get back to the Dissertation. I've skimmed the first two or three pages. Perhaps I can make it from bicarb? Or just heat up the decahydrate?

In the bigger picture I think I'll swot up on basic chemistry, and get that Darkroom Cookbook.

But for now, it's back to work.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

LTPTP XXV: We Shall Overcome

Leech or flatworm? Ants and Swiss Chard

VINEGAR!