Nikon and Pig Sty Avenue

My first SLR camera, twenty-something years ago, was a Nikon EM. When my interest in photography was re-awakened, I started with an Olympus compact, and did a lot of research and thinking before buying a dSLR - the best deal brought me back to Nikon with the d50. I'm cynical enough about big-business to avoid foolishness like "brand loyalty". But I will stick with Nikon for the foreseeable future because of the fact that I can use almost any Nikkor (or Sigma) lens on any Nikon camera body.

So I was quite intrigued when my friend Elinesca raised the question the fishiness (or otherwise) of Nikon's marketing of their new d80 in a DMU thread. I then googled to jill/txt, who gave some food for thought, (and who is, coincidentally, a chum of Elinesca).

It's very clever. The very fact that I'm blogging this is evidence of the success of the campaign. Whoever dreamed that one up has earned their Columbian Marching Powder this month.

Not that I'd dream of buying a d80. I started at the bottom with a d50. If all the studying pays off, and I get a highly paid job in a few years, the reward will be a D2X, or whatever is top of the range then. May as well go for a professional camera, rather than spending a little less on a serious amateur one.

Comments

  1. But...but... you can use most Nikkor lenses on most dslrs anyway - check out my recent post:

    http://tinyurl.com/y44flj

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

LTPTP XXV: We Shall Overcome

Leech or flatworm? Ants and Swiss Chard

VINEGAR!