Shanghai Balcony Gardening III

Shanghai Balcony Gardening III The Great Firewall is fettlesome this morning, somehow managing to block Blogger, even through the tunnel. Flickr's always fine, though.

Yesterday I took the bike to the wee place on the corner that mends bikes, got the saddle lowered, the brakes adjusted and the chain oiled. I was after the bicycle equivalent of a 10,000 mile service, and had the Chinese for that written down, but the man in the bike place said it didn't need it. He asked how long I'd had it, but remained impassive when I said a month. I asked if he thought it was a good bike, and he shook his head and laughed and said, No, it was Chinese. He said I should get a Japanese bike if I wanted a good one. I think this was probably a sincere opinion, as the place didn't sell bikes, so he had no ulterior motive. And, as fond of the bike as I am, he has a point: it's a bit cumbersome if, for example, you're trying to negotiate a narrow way with a basket full of shopping, up a slope, with a sharp turn at the top.

I then peddled on to the flower market, and bought a couple of bags of compost, some 6" plant pots, and some liquid fertiliser, (12 9 9 N P K, which is cool).

Back home, I sowed more rocket, plus parsley, and basil. Today, I'm going to sow some lovage, which, incidentally, contains myristicin, which may or may not be what makes a person stoned if they ingest enough nutmeg.

The mint I put in the big plant pot is dying. It's not for lack of water. I can only assume that some numpty used a weedkiller in that pot. I noticed at the flower market they have bags of garden soil, about half a hundredweight. I'll get some of that and replace the soil next weekend, if the mint dies entirely, as it looks liable to. It's a waste of the whole packet of borage I sowed in the same pot, too.

The geraniums I planted last week began to germinate after five days. Lively little blighters.

Comments

  1. It looks lovely... The one with the yellow stalk and pink flowers seems to be coming on a treat...

    Been doing a lot of cycling myself recently, about 110m last week. Dunno why...

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's better than running, which frankly is a bit undignified, imo. Are there good places to cycle where you are? I doubt I do more than 40 miles a week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yup... It's pretty good around here. Plenty of flat and plenty of hills. 10 mins and you're in the country and only 5 miles to the coast. If I get comfortable doing 40 miles in a day (with hills) I may buy myself a little tent and have overnight stays in the lakes. Of course, in my mind I can already do it and am planning to buy something like this http://www.adventure-cycling-guide.co.uk/bike5.htm . Then get the ferry from Plymouth to Santander and make my way back via the south east of France. There were cornflakes all over my face.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're a man after my own heart - can't just go on a fucking bike ride but you have to book the ferry to Santander.

    A don't you mean the South West of France? What about the Pyrenees?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

LTPTP XXV: We Shall Overcome

Leech or flatworm? Ants and Swiss Chard

VINEGAR!