Housekeeping; hacky

I've tidied up the blogroll, removing some blogs which I rarely visit and which never visit here. (If you come by here and I've removed your blog and you're not happy, do get in touch and I'll restore it forthwith. In fact, anyone who calls by occassionally and would like a link, do tell).

In the dialect of North East England, hacky is an adjective meaning very dirty. I found out from one of my Iranian students this morning that it means exactly the same thing in Farsi. How come? What's the link between Geordieland and Iran?

Comments

  1. yay!!! im still on your blog!! thnx Garry :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dirty as in covered in mud, or dirty as in Paris Hilton, a video camera, and a bottle of scotch?

    ReplyDelete
  3. The primary meaning would be actually dirty, as in "that car's hacky", but I remember it causing a lot of laughter when I was a teenager and a generous-minded local girl was referred to as "hacky".

    ReplyDelete
  4. That'll be the lads! In fact, I think there was a tombstone found in Shields for Hakkius Maximus.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I do visit your blog every now and again, Garry. Have done at least weekly for approx two years.

    ReplyDelete
  6. "What's the link between Geordieland and Iran?"

    Seafarers. Yemenis, in particular, were a large minority community in Shields.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

LTPTP XXV: We Shall Overcome

Leech or flatworm? Ants and Swiss Chard

VINEGAR!