A sad moment...


365 Days VIII, originally uploaded by /pɪgstaɪævnjuː/.



I bought my laptop in May 2004. It's seen a lot of action, particularly journeying to and fro to Libya, and spending 15 months in that country, where very fine dust is everywhere. It's been my principal conduit to the virtual world for three years. I've learned to touch type on it, written God knows how many thousand words on it. I processed photos on it from Libya, from our wedding, from Molly's christening.

And now it's going west. It's like an old man. Just booting up takes forever, and the hard drive is constantly working. IT rund very hot. Everything is so slow - it can take half an hour to write a short email. Blogging, academic writing and processing photos are now out of the question; (I'm writing this at work).

So the time has come to put it out of the way. Most of the data on it has been backed up now. I'll use Herself's laptop for the time being.

*sighs*

Comments

  1. Do you defrag often? A lot of what you describe sounds like what is caused by a fragmented HD. If not that may be the solution to your woes. I use a programme called diskeeper

    http://www.diskeeper.com/diskeeper/home/home.asp

    Set it to defrag at quiet times of the day and forget about it. Keeps your HD in check and the poncuter running sweetly - well at least one aspect of it anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmm. Thanks matey. I'll give it a go - now you mention it, I haven't defragged in ages, and I've been hauling loads of bug RAW files around. Maybe there's hope.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

LTPTP XXV: We Shall Overcome

Leech or flatworm? Ants and Swiss Chard

VINEGAR!