riddling glass and spreading mulch

Half a dozen barrows-full of hedge trimmings, and a few bags from the florist, were piled up on the area to be riddled. I had another couple of bags from the florist, too. That whole bed, formerly the 5th bed, is thick with weeds, poppy and borage and comfrey, just to name the volunteers. I chopped them down, and then spread out the heap and other florist's green material over the bed as a mulch. Plenty of organic matter, but it will kill off the weeds and make them easier to deal with as I dig and riddle my way through this stretch...

Which is, frankly, becoming a thought. And think I did this evening. At the rate I'm going,  - held up by wet weather, paid work and domesticity, - it's going to take months, years, to go through the entire top-soil of this stretch and get out all of the glass. The point is, to keep the dogs from cutting their paws. Otherwise, I can cope with some glass in the ground, picking it out bit-by-bit as I garden there, especially if I'm digging potatoes, say.  And so...

The stretch by the fence is viciously infested by big shards of glass - it being the custom of old time allotmenteers to rake any problems to the edge. And besides, that became a midden. So that stretch, a yard wide and maybe 5 long, I'll dig out and riddle to a spit's depth as I have been.  The rest, I'll hoe and rake and riddle about 4ins or so deep, to be sure the dogs' paws are safe, there being much less glass there, anyway; (bearing in mind, I won't be digging until spuds go in, and anyway there's a lot of oomska and florist-mulch to go on top, yet). 

That's do-able by... Christmas, maybe. And a great weight off my shoulders. 2018, here we come.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

LTPTP XXV: We Shall Overcome

Leech or flatworm? Ants and Swiss Chard

VINEGAR!