Learning to Play the Piano v2.0 #3

This Synthesia's great fun.  It's all about dexterity, for now, I'm thinking - just keep getting more accurate on increasingly difficult bits of music: which might take a year to get to any kind of breakthrough.

Not to lose sight of notation,  I'll investigate Noteflight when I've a bit of time.  There's also Sheet Music Editor.  Haven't looked at apps for the iPad yet.  Initially, I want to note up the simple bits that I'm practising on, and blog them if possible.

Meanwhile, as a lifelong Guardianista and keyboard student, I couldn't resist shelling out at Waterstones (Amazon?  Amazon?  Who the fuck are Amazon?) for the Alan Rusbridger book.  Be good to have a shot at Chopin's Ballade one day.  Though my personal goal is more modest, it still looks bloody difficult: Maple Leaf Rag. Two to three years, maybe?

Comments

  1. Why don't you learn some chords and sing some songs. I found once you can play the chords to something you can then build it up, adding 7ths, sus4ths etc.... Have just about got Tom's 'Where ever I lay my hat' sorted amongst others.

    I just thought it was too late in the day for learning music and I seem to have more fun doing it like this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good idea. I will do that, but I'm going to carry on and learn how to play melodies and read sheet music, anyway. That's fun to me. I really like the idea of being able to play (in theory) anything from a sheet of paper - and there's always sheet music going cheap at car boots and charity shops.

      And listen to you, "too late in the day"! FFS! You're a bit younger than me, aren't you? And I'm only 52. My plan is, I keep saying, to be able to do this before I collect the bus-pass, and then earn free beer playing the piano in pubs.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

LTPTP XXV: We Shall Overcome

Leech or flatworm? Ants and Swiss Chard

VINEGAR!