The Hunger Gap

We ate the last onion of 2006 last night. The rest of the meal was made up of vegetables from the shop. This is shameful.

We planted some absurdly early first early potatoes under glass back in January, but they only began to grow a few weeks ago, and won't crop until June at the earliest.

I'm blogging this now to put down a marker, and remind myself that we don't want to be in this situation this time next year. The answer is, more root vegetables stored, more spring cabbage, and quite a lot of all-year-round things like chard (and rocket [?])

Incidentally, whilst googling around this idea, I turned up an article about The Cattle Trade and Agrarian Change on the Eve of the Railway Age. The link's there so that I can get back and read it when I get an idle moment - God only knows when that'll be.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

LTPTP XXV: We Shall Overcome

Leech or flatworm? Ants and Swiss Chard

VINEGAR!