Module II: a Pantomime!

Teaching English to speakers of other languages (TESOL), aka, teaching English as a foreign language (EFL), or, less often, teaching English as a second language (ESL), has a marvellously complicated professional structure. Even people who do the job have only the dimmest idea of the big picture. Those of us doing the job in Further Education colleges in England need a qualification called, - God knows why - "Module 2". That's what we call it. Its real name is much longer. Anyhow, I'm studying for this now. But that's in addition to a Masters' degree in TESOL and Applied Linguistics, which is something quite separate: it's the same essential subject matter, but rather la di da: theoretical, let's say...

So far so good. I'm actually teaching, AND studying the practice of teaching, AND the underlying linguistic theory. I'm as happy as a pig in straw.

But at work, my colleagues put on, each year, a pantomime, "for the students". Yesterday, I got buttonholed by one of its afficianados. She said:

"You weren't at the meeting yesterday, Garry."

"I don't work Thursdays. What meeting?"

"I sent you an email. The pantomime. You could do any number of things: play a part, sing, dance, play a musical instrument, do something backstage...?"

"Well, I'm a bit busy just now."

"But you only work part time!"

I'm starting to get a bit narked now, but I keep cool.

"Indeed I do. But I've got a small baby, and I'm doing the Module II."

"Oh, there's loads of people in the pantomime with small children, and people doing Module II!"

I should've shrugged at this point, but was into self-justification mode by now.

"I'm doing an MA as well, you know."

"What in?"

So now I'm getting really humpty, and thinking, What the fuck has it to do with you? But I say.

"TESOL."

"An MA in TESOL? AND Module II? You should get your Module II and THEN do your MA!"

I looked a bit stunned, perhaps, and then a student with a query came into the room, and the panto-fucking-mime conversation was over. For now.

But maybe she was right, I should have organised my whole education, professional development, indeed my whole career much more effectively. Then I would have had time to be more involved in "Esoladdin".

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

LTPTP XXV: We Shall Overcome

Leech or flatworm? Ants and Swiss Chard

VINEGAR!