H



I put the camera onto manual focus, and aperture priority. No filters, so no need to tweak the ASA or EC. And away I went to the Necropolis on a sunny day. This one was my first proper find for the photography students' ABC - finding an image which looked like a letter of the alphabet. It's more difficult than it sounds, and actually I don't know if this qualifies, because actual letters (for example, the "P" indicating a car park) can't be used, you have to find something which accidentally looks like "P".  And is this "H" intentional?

The first idea was set the camera to fully manual, metering with Sunny 16, but that was too much; I might try that in future... With Aperture priority, I would use only the aperture to get the exposure right, checking on the shutter speed in the viewfinder. Which sounds obvious, but I realised once I got started that hitherto I've been using the F4, frankly, like a point-and-shoot, not really thinking about exposure and I need to slow down in order to speed up, in due course. 

The results weren't bad, although none of the compositions would make prints. And everything is sharper than from the visit to the Park earlier in the week: the problem was maybe my point-and-shoot approach: not checking the shutter speed and not holding this big heavy camera as carefully as I should if the exposure gets down to 1/30 (say) or slower. And scanning with an iPhone is not ideal, but it's giving images good enough for learning, if not printing. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

C41: It's the New Black (& White)

PC Pit Stop

Water!