Fountains! There are hundreds of them here - everywhere you go. Even a country town like Imsallata has a massive one. There are fountains at roundabouts, and in parks. The style is modernist, generally. I suppose they were built in the last two decades. There's an exception in Green Square. It's neo-classical. Four horses, appearing to fight their way up out of the water. Eye-catching. Presumably it was built by the Italian colonialists. It works wonderfully: water jets 15 foot high. None of the others do: they're all choked with dust and sand, receptacles for rubbish.
C41: It's the New Black (& White)
Colour. There's that cliche in movies or TV when someone falls in love, or smokes pot for the first time, and everything goes from monochrome to colour. The Wizard of Oz moment. B&W's fine, it's just time to move on. Which makes discovering these formulae really very fortuitous. I've got some of those chemicals for B&W developing anyway. C41 developing, playing around in a sink full of warm water is the sort of innocent fun you don't get much in adulthood. Thanks to this guy , in this Flickr DIY Color Group thread for passing on the craic. I've been trying to get that on and off for years. My mate cliffdotmac flickrmailed me tonight and said he was giving up on film, because of the expense. Which is fair enough, if you've shelled out for a DSLR and its all-singing-and-dancing lenses, I can see how film would feel like and extra expense. But if you haven't done that, if your biggest expense has been a few hundred quid a ...
Do you have a digital camera? Have you been taking pictures whilst you're there? I'd like to see some.
ReplyDeleteCheck this site out, you could add it to your blog: http://www.flickr.com/
I've posted about this - not really possible to post pics from here - but i'm home in a few days. Thanks for reminding me about flickr - read about it recently and intend to check it out.
ReplyDelete