'Ticing Moths

There's not as much time as I'd like for this, but our new house having a decent sized back garden, I can now set about a project I've been mulling over for years.

The idea is to get as big a variety of wildlife into the garden as possible. Most obviously, this is manifested through garden birds. I'll have a bird table next winter, but lots of species won't use it, so, I want to attract lots of insects, butterflies and moths, which tend to breed near a source of food, and they are then a source of food for the birds.

Or something.

This page about which plants attract which moths is a canny starting point.

I notice that hawthorn attracts a lot of moth species. Well, that's a good start. And I'll get some hedge bedstraw to include in the hedgerow.

Bladder campion's
another good one, and there's a load of that at the allotment, a year old now. I'd best get it dug up and ready to move afore spring get on much more.

Hemp agrimony has an intriguing Latin name, and looks like another contender. Yarrow's interesting, though pfaf says it "repels beetles, ants and flies".

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

LTPTP XXV: We Shall Overcome

Leech or flatworm? Ants and Swiss Chard

VINEGAR!