Dante: The Inferno

At the end of a summer spent working with Italians, I've decided to re-read La Commedia.  I read the Dorothy L Sayers translation when I was a teenager, and loved it, (though I gave up very early in  Paradise).  Probably, I'll get a lot more out of in now than I did then.

This time I'm going with the Hollander, which is starting with promise: I read the Introduction last night, which managed to deal with complicated ideas regarding allegory and hold my attention, and I read the 1st Canto this morning, and it works as poetry.

The Princeton Dante Project is a useful resource.  And I especially like the Italian audio, so that I can hear it as well as read it in the original.

Comments

  1. I got through Trieste and the Meaning of Nowhere, Naples '44 and Love and War in the Appenines in my first two weeks of Inpdap joy. All recommended.
    Fascinating place, fascinating people. Not much cop at organising a summer school, mind.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was pleased that the Inpdap staff at mine managed to outdo the teachers regarding drunken foolishness. Made a nice change.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck - if you make it through Paradise, let us know. (i too dropped it at Paradise, Lawrence Grant White translation) Thanks for the Princeton link.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha, mine too. Most mornings I was the only management around until about 11am.

    ReplyDelete
  5. James: this Hollander translation is like a university course, I've spent several hours now with the text and notes on Canto 1, you can't read it passively, so Paradise is some distance away. I'll probably blog about it as I go.

    Michael: Yes indeed, my first point of contact with the Inpdap people each day was usually at lunchtime. They would think nothing of phoning me at 10 in the evening to discuss something which could easily have waited until the next day.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Chris: I got to Purgatory, though we should both burn in hell for wasting our time on such shite.

    ReplyDelete
  7. indeed... email me re oban dates.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

LTPTP XXV: We Shall Overcome

Leech or flatworm? Ants and Swiss Chard

VINEGAR!